Thursday 15 August 2013

Healthy Oat Pancakes

Since I've started going gym two months ago I've tried to change my lifestyle and eating habits.. eating more fruits as a snack or whenever I feel peckish, changing bad carbs to good carbs when I possibly can i.e: oats, brown rice, cous cous etc. 

So I was extremely happy when I recently found a user on instagram called 'videomeals'. I'm telling you, his videos are just aaaamazing!! So quick and simple with the bonus of tasting great! I tried out his pancake recipe made with oats, greek yoghurt and egg white with a few changes here and there to suit my own taste. Love that you can use oats in a pancake mixture because I hate eating normal oats/porridge unless I overload it with sugar or something sweet. Here are the ingredients I used:


Ingredients:
50g oats (100% rolled oats would be best)
125g greek yoghurt (fat-free optional)
2 egg whites
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
raspberries (desired amount)
icing sugar for dusting (optional)

Firstly, blend the oats down to a powder/flour form. Stir in the baking powder and ground cinnamon. Next add the egg whites, greek yoghurt and vanilla extract. Mix until everything is combined the mixture may be a little thicker than normal pancake mixture due to the oats. I like to make my pancakes small.. this mixture will make you around 6-7 small sized pancakes or 2-3 larger sized ones. Add a little oil to a pan and once the pan is hot, using a ladle or wooden spoon scoop some of the mixture into the pan, you will need to use the back of the spoon to spread the mixture out. Cook for about 2 minutes on a low heat then flip to cook the opposite side. Once cooked start stacking them onto a place, add some raspberries or alternatively whichever fruit you like and dust off with some icing sugar. If you do like your pancakes a little sweeter I would suggest you to add 1 tsp of sugar into the mixture. 




If you do happen to try this out and have any suggestions in changing anything please leave me a comment and let me know what you think! Thanks for reading. Jen :)

1 comment: